About 1 in 4 surgeries in ladies in the USA contain obstetric-gynecologic (OB-GYN) procedures. Which means you would possibly end up needing to have one in all these surgical procedures sooner or later in your life. However do you know a few of them are accomplished utilizing robotics?
Greater than 876,000 robotic-assisted surgeries have been carried out within the U.S. in 2020. Right here’s what occurs throughout a robotic-assisted process and essential details it’s good to find out about one of these OB-GYN surgical procedure.
What’s OB-GYN robotic-assisted surgical procedure?
Gynecologic robotic surgery is a sort of minimally invasive surgery (which means the incisions, or surgical cuts, are a lot smaller) that focuses on feminine reproductive organs. Obstetric surgical procedure focuses on pregnancy-related surgical procedures. Most robotic procedures contain thinner surgical instruments and smaller incisions in comparison with conventional open surgical procedure.
Throughout robotic-assisted surgical procedure, a specifically skilled surgeon sits a number of ft away from the affected person at a pc console that gives a magnified, high-definition 3D view and hand controls. The surgeon makes use of the hand controls to maneuver robotic arms which are above the working desk. An assistant stands by the bedside, the place a video monitor exhibits 3D views of the surgical web site. Assistants oversee the robotic arms that include cameras and surgical instruments wanted for reducing, clamping and suturing (stitching up the incisions).
What are the sorts of OB-GYN robotic-assisted surgical procedures?
There are a number of several types of OB-GYN robotic-assisted surgical procedures. These embody:
- Robotic hysterectomy (elimination of the uterus): A hysterectomy using robotic surgery includes small cuts within the stomach to separate the uterus from different tissues. The uterus is both eliminated by way of the vagina or by way of an incision within the stomach.
- Robotic myomectomy (elimination of uterine fibroids): Robotic myomectomy can remove fibroids positioned in difficult areas.
- Robotic endometriosis surgical procedure: Endometriosis is a situation the place tissue contained in the uterus grows on different components of your physique, similar to on the ovaries, fallopian tubes or bladder. Medical doctors can use robotic-assisted surgical procedure to take away these areas of tissue, known as endometrial implants or lesions, once they trigger extreme ache and bleeding. Robotic-assisted surgical procedure would possibly even be simpler at removing deeper endometrial tissue than different sorts of surgical procedures.
- Robotic pelvic organ prolapse (POP) therapy: Prolapse occurs when one of many pelvic organs, such because the bladder or uterus, slips misplaced. This may be repaired with robotic surgical procedure by lifting the organs again into place and securing them with a surgical mesh.
What are the advantages of robotic-assisted surgical procedure?
Robotic gynecologic surgical procedure would possibly sound like one thing out of a sci-fi film, nevertheless it’s not really carried out by robots. Your surgeon controls the robotic arms always.
There are various benefits to robotic gynecologic surgery.
- Utilizing robotic arms permits surgeons to function with extra precision, and the surgical procedure is commonly a lot faster. So there may be much less likelihood of the surgeon getting hand tremors, which may occur once they maintain surgical instruments for a very long time.
- Viewing the surgical web site by way of the 3D monitor provides the surgeon a extra detailed view than in the event that they have been performing conventional surgical procedure.
- Sufferers who’re operated on with robotic know-how normally have much less bleeding, much less ache after the surgical procedure, much less likelihood of an infection and smaller scars. Total, individuals additionally are likely to have shorter hospital stays and a shorter restoration interval.
Learn: Girls Having Surgical procedure Get Higher Outcomes if Their Surgeon Is a Lady >>
What are the dangers of robotic-assisted surgical procedure?
Robotic-assisted surgical procedure is mostly thought-about to be protected. However it will possibly have similar risks as conventional surgical procedure, together with an infection, bleeding, blood clots and problems with anesthesia.
There are some additional risks to having robotic surgery which are uncommon, however can occur. These can embody person error, mechanical issues, electrical burns and nerve injury.
Not all surgical procedures will be accomplished utilizing robotics, and never all healthcare services have the know-how. But when there are robots and skilled surgeons out there to you, ensure you ask your healthcare supplier concerning the professionals and cons of robotic-assisted surgical procedure in your circumstances.
This training useful resource was created with assist from Intuitive.
From Your Website Articles
Associated Articles Across the Internet