You will not miss the meat or dairy on this vegan burrito recipe. It is tremendous simple to make, and the rice, bean, and veggie filling is SO flavorful and satisfying!
This burrito recipe occurs to be vegan, however you don’t need to be vegan to find it irresistible. It’s simple to make, it’s flavorful and contemporary, and you’ll even meal prep it if you wish to get forward on lunch or dinner. The hearty filling consists of Spanish rice, seasoned black beans, guacamole, pickled onions, and veggies. Take it excessive with a facet of salsa for dipping!
Under, I’ll stroll you thru the right way to make this vegan burrito recipe, supply ideas for the right way to retailer it, and share some tasty variations. It’s my favourite burrito recipe, vegan or not, and I hope you take pleasure in it too!
Vegan Burrito Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll must make this vegan burrito recipe:
- Flour tortillas – Search for ones which can be smooth, pliable, and enormous sufficient to suit quantity of filling. I usually use 10-inch tortillas.
- Spanish rice – You would use plain white rice or brown rice in a pinch, however I really like the depth of taste the Spanish rice provides to this recipe.
- Black beans – For plant-based protein! You’ll season them up with contemporary lime juice and a pinch of taco seasoning for daring, zesty taste.
- Purple bell peppers – You’ll shortly char them on the range in order that they develop into candy and smoky.
- Spinach – It provides refreshing crunch.
- Guacamole – It presents a wealthy and creamy distinction to the contemporary veggies within the filling. Don’t really feel like making guac? Avocado slices would work right here too!
- Pickled crimson onions – For a vibrant pop of taste.
- Recent cilantro – A burrito important, in the event you ask me. I really like the kick of contemporary taste!
- Jalapeños – For warmth. Be at liberty to skip them in the event you’re delicate to spice.
- Additional-virgin olive oil – For seasoning the beans and cooking the peppers.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Vegan Burrito Variations
I really like the combo of fillings on this vegan burrito recipe, however if you wish to change it up, by all means, do! Listed below are just a few concepts to get you began:
- Change the rice. Fill your vegan burrito with cilantro lime rice as a substitute of Spanish rice.
- Change the beans. Creamy, cumin-spiced pinto beans could be SO scrumptious right here!
- Attempt totally different veggies. Swap out the spinach for lettuce. Use corn salsa, pico de gallo, or roasted broccoli as a substitute of or along with the peppers.
- Not an avocado particular person? Skip the guacamole and add a dollop of vegan bitter cream or some shredded vegan cheese.
- Make it gluten-free. When you’ve got a model of huge, pliable gluten-free tortillas you’re keen on, be at liberty to make use of them as a substitute of flour tortillas. One other nice possibility is to forego the tortilla totally and switch this recipe right into a vegan burrito bowl.
Let me know what variations you strive!
Learn how to Make Vegan Burritos
This vegan burrito recipe is tremendous simple to make! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, prep the fillings. Begin by making the pickled onions as a result of they style higher the longer they sit within the fridge. For the very best taste, I like to recommend making them a day prematurely.
You’ll additionally must cook dinner the Spanish rice, season the black beans, and char the peppers. If you happen to like, you may make all these parts forward of time. Retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days earlier than assembling the burritos.
In the case of the guac, you may go all out and make my greatest guacamole recipe, or make a fast guacamole with mashed avocado, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Alternatively, use store-bought guacamole to simplify your prep.
Subsequent, fill the burritos. Place the tortillas on a flat, clear work floor. Add a layer of spinach adopted by the rice, beans, peppers, guacamole, pickled onions, cilantro, and jalapeños.
Lastly, fold them closed. Fold the perimeters of the tortillas over the filling, after which fold up the underside flap. Tuck and roll the burritos closed. Need extra burrito-folding ideas? Take a look at my publish on the right way to fold a burrito!
Slice the burritos in half, if desired, and luxuriate in!
If you happen to ask me, no burrito—vegan or in any other case—is full with no tasty sauce for dipping. My go-to is a few type of salsa. Make selfmade tomato salsa or salsa verde, or use your favourite store-bought salsa or sizzling sauce. These selfmade sauces could be nice choices too:
Need one thing to serve on the facet? Spherical out the meal with my Mexican avenue corn salad, grilled greens, or a handful of tortilla chips.
Learn how to Retailer Vegan Burritos
Leftover burritos? Wrap them tightly in foil and retailer them within the fridge for as much as 2 days!
With just a few changes, this vegan burrito recipe additionally freezes nicely:
- Skip the avocado.
- Use spinach, not lettuce or one other tender inexperienced. It’ll wilt once you reheat it.
Freeze the foil-wrapped burritos for as much as 3 months. Switch frozen burritos to the fridge to thaw in a single day, or defrost them within the microwave. I wish to wrap them in a kitchen towel and microwave them for 1 to 2 minutes per facet, or till they’re heated via. Get pleasure from with salsa or a squeeze of contemporary lime juice for a fast and straightforward meal!
Extra Vegan Mexican Recipes
If you happen to love this vegan burrito recipe, strive considered one of these plant-based Mexican dishes subsequent:
For the Peppers:
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 crimson bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and sliced into skinny stips
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
Make the beans: In a medium bowl, stir collectively the black beans, lime juice, taco seasoning, olive oil, and salt. Put aside to marinate when you put together the opposite parts.
Make the peppers: Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the peppers, a pinch of salt, and several other grinds of pepper. Cook dinner, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes, or till the peppers are smooth and browned in locations. Take away from the warmth and season to style.
Assemble the burritos: Fill the facilities of the tortillas with a layer of spinach, a scoop of rice, among the beans, the peppers, guacamole, pickled crimson onions, cilantro, and jalapeños. Tuck and roll closed. Serve with salsa.