Fattoush is a Center Japanese salad made with contemporary veggies, herbs, and crispy pita bread. Tossed in a zesty sumac dressing, it is shiny and scrumptious.
This fattoush salad recipe is the proper facet dish for a summer season meal. A Center Japanese staple, fattoush is contemporary and shiny, that includes seasonal greens like tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, and lettuce, plus a hearty dose of parsley and mint. However, as tasty as tomatoes are in August, the star ingredient in fattoush isn’t a vegetable. It’s bread!
That’s proper—crispy pita bread provides crunch to this salad, making it fairly darn irresistible for nearly anybody. (Salad skeptics, I’m taking a look at you.) I hope you do this recipe. I believe you’ll adore it!
Fattoush is a Center Japanese chopped salad that options seasoned or fried pita bread.
Now common all through the Center East, fattoush first originated in Lebanon as a approach to repurpose leftover bread. The contemporary elements can differ, however they generally embody lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, and herbs like parsley or mint. Purple and inexperienced onions are frequent additions as properly. A tangy dressing, typically made with sumac and/or pomegranate molasses, ties the salad collectively.
Fattoush Salad Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll must make this fattoush salad recipe:
- Pita bread, in fact! We’ll toast it up with olive oil and salt to make croutons for the salad. Leftover selfmade pita is nice right here, however store-bought works properly too.
- Romaine lettuce – It creates the salad’s crisp, contemporary base.
- Persian cucumbers – I like them right here as a result of they’ve skinny pores and skin and practically undetectable seeds. When you can’t discover them, English cucumber is an efficient substitute. In any other case, peeled, seeded common cucumber works too.
- Cherry tomatoes – They add sweetness, acidity, and juicy texture.
- Purple radishes – For peppery crunch!
- Purple onion – It offers the salad a savory chew. Thinly slice it to keep away from overwhelming the opposite flavors.
- Contemporary mint and parsley leaves – Don’t skip them! They add cooling, fragrant depth to this straightforward recipe.
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
You’ll additionally want a couple of elements to make the zesty fattoush dressing. Most are pantry staples—olive oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic, and salt. However there are two different elements you won’t have available:
- Sumac – This shiny pink spice may be present in Center Japanese markets, spice outlets, and on-line. It has a tart, lemony taste that actually makes this salad pop!
- Substitution: Skip if obligatory. Season the salad with contemporary black pepper to style.
- Different makes use of: Sprinkle sumac over salads or dips like hummus or labneh. Or strive it in different Center Japanese recipes.
- Pomegranate molasses – Pomegranate molasses could be very concentrated pomegranate juice. It has a syrupy consistency and intense candy/bitter style. Its tangy taste actually units this dressing aside from a fundamental lemon French dressing, so it’s value investing in a bottle.
- Substitution: Substitute with further lemon juice. Add extra honey to style to stability the dressing’s taste.
- Different makes use of: Make this muhammara recipe!
Methods to Make Fattoush Salad
Step one on this fattoush salad recipe is toasting the pita. The pita in a fattoush salad is likely to be toasted, fried, or simply stale. I prefer to bake mine within the oven as a result of I like the crispy texture, and I discover it simpler than frying.
Preheat the oven to 425°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Tear the pita into 1-inch items, and season it with olive oil and salt. Unfold the bread in a single layer on the pan, and bake for 13 to twenty minutes, or till crisp and golden brown. Toss the pita midway by way of the baking time in order that it crisps evenly.
In the meantime, make the dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, honey, sumac, garlic, and salt.
Lastly, assemble the salad. Place the veggies in a big bowl with half the pita chips and half the contemporary herbs. Toss with half the dressing and season to style, including extra dressing as desired.
High with the remaining pita chips, parsley, and mint. Sprinkle with sumac, and luxuriate in!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
Ideas for Making The Recipe
- Seasonal greens make it shine. As a result of this recipe is so easy, the standard of the contemporary greens you utilize counts. I like to recommend making it when tomatoes and cucumbers are in peak season—usually summer season in Canada and the US—for the most effective outcomes. Use regionally grown produce when attainable.
- Get forward. Make the dressing as much as 2 days upfront, and retailer it in an hermetic container within the fridge. You can too toast the pita as much as a day forward. Retailer it, loosely lined, at room temperature.
- Maintain the pita separate till the final minute. I like this salad greatest when the bread remains to be slightly crunchy. To assist it preserve its crisp texture, wait so as to add it to the salad till you’re about to eat.
- Make it your personal. This fattoush recipe is versatile! Toss in different seasonal veggies like chopped bell peppers, or sprinkle in one other herb, reminiscent of contemporary thyme. Heartier add-ins like crumbled feta cheese, crispy roasted chickpeas, and olives are additionally scrumptious. Let me know what variations you strive!
Extra Favourite Salad Recipes
When you love this fattoush salad, strive one in all these contemporary salad recipes subsequent:
- 2 pita breads, torn into 1-inch items
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 pink radishes, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced pink onion
- ½ cup contemporary mint leaves
- ⅓ cup chopped contemporary parsley
Stop your display from going darkish
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the pita on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat and unfold evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 13 to twenty minutes, or till crisp, tossing midway by way of.
In the meantime, make the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, honey, sumac, garlic, and salt.
Assemble the salad. In a big bowl, place the romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, onion, half the toasted pita, and half the mint and parsley. Pour on half the dressing and toss. Season to style, including extra dressing as desired, and prime with the remaining pita, mint, and parsley. Sprinkle with sumac and serve instantly.