We’re taking all of it the best way again to 2013. Sure, 10 complete years in the past after I found an additional butternut squash laying round and determined to cook dinner up some magic.
When you love my well-known Candy Potato Black Bean Enchiladas, prepare for an unimaginable winter model. In a freaking skillet. OMG, sure.
Let’s talk about this magical concoction that jumped out of my thoughts, into the skillet, and onto my plate…or we may simply stare at images and drool? No, I positively want to elucidate how good this dinner is. Every chew is stuffed with tender, barely candy butternut squash, scrumptious black beans, crave-able tortilla strips, and layers of melted cheese.
This vegetarian enchilada skillet is the right meal if you’re craving enchiladas however don’t really feel like doing all that rolling. It’s SO simple to make in nearly half-hour and may simply turn out to be one among your new fav dinners (until it has been for the previous 10 years!)
The whole lot you’ll have to make this enchilada skillet
This recipe is a type of throw-everything-in-the-pan ones that simply work. We’ve bought veggies, protein, fiber, and loads of warming spices. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Veggies: you’ll cube up a few 2lb butternut squash for this scrumptious skillet. I really like the refined sweetness it provides. You’ll additionally want an onion and a jalapeño.
- Herbs & spices: we’re including taste to the skillet with recent garlic, ground cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper.
- Black beans: get that wholesome dose of protein and fiber from a can of black beans!
- Tortillas: I like to make use of yellow corn tortillas on this enchilada skillet. You’ll reduce these into thick strips for layering.
- Enchilada sauce: be happy to make use of a can of enchilada sauce for ease, or attempt my Do-it-yourself Enchilada Sauce!
- Cheese: sprinkle on loads of shredded Mexican cheese or colby jack for that tacky goodness (and further protein).
- For serving: I wish to prime my plate with recent cilantro and a dollop of greek yogurt or bitter cream. Oh, and my home made guacamole could be next-level scrumptious.
Customise your enchilada skillet
As a result of it’s made with easy substances, this vegetarian enchilada skillet is straightforward to customise! Right here’s what I can advocate:
- Select your veggies: be happy so as to add in any veggies which can be in season! Candy potato could be a terrific swap for the squash, and zucchini, bell pepper, or corn could be nice spring & summer time choices.
- Choose your tortillas: as I discussed you may completely use flour tortillas in case you’d like. Utilizing corn tortillas will hold this dish gluten free.
- Add a lift of protein: searching for much more protein? Add 1-2 cups of cooked, shredded rooster, floor rooster, or floor turkey.
- Go dairy free: simply swap the cheese on your favourite vegan/dairy free cheese, or omit the cheese and drizzle the skillet with my Jalapeño Inexperienced Tahini Sauce.
prep your butternut squash
You’re going to need to peel and dice the butternut squash earlier than including it to this recipe, so get all of my ideas & methods for safely doing so right here.
Vegetarian enchilada skillet in 3 steps
We’re stirring up oooey gooey enchilada love right here. See? Right here’s find out how to make them:
- Cook dinner your veggies. Begin by cooking down the onion, garlic & jalapeño in a large skillet with olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add the cubed squash and spices, and cook dinner till the squash is barely tender.
- Add the enchilada substances. Stir within the black beans, corn tortilla strips, and enchilada sauce. Cut back the warmth and stir in some cheese.
- Broil & serve. Add extra cheese and plate the skillet below your broiler to get it good and melty. Then serve with cilantro, greek yogurt or bitter cream, and guacamole in case you’d like!
Suggestions for making forward
There are a few methods you can save much more time when making this enchilada skillet:
- Be at liberty to dice your butternut squash, chop your onion, and cube your jalapeño 1-2 days beforehand. Retailer the onion and jalapeño collectively, and the squash individually, in hermetic containers within the fridge. That means you may pour them into your skillet and cook dinner up the skillet shortly.
- If you wish to go a step additional, be happy to saute all your veggies 1 day earlier than (remember to not overcook), allow them to cool, and retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge. The subsequent day you may heat them in your skillet and proceed with step 2 of the recipe.
Retailer any leftover enchilada skillet in airtight containers within the fridge for as much as 3-5 days. Merely reheat within the microwave till warmed by.
Extra vegetarian dinners to attempt
Get all of my vegetarian dinner recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on this butternut squash and black bean enchilada skillet! When you make it remember to depart a remark and a score so I understand how you favored it. Take pleasure in, xo!
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
Flavorful butternut squash and black bean enchilada skillet stuffed with fiber and protein for a scrumptious dinner the entire household will love. This simple vegetarian enchilada skillet comes collectively in half-hour and is nice for meal prep!
olive oil or avocado oil
1/2-inch-diced, peeled butternut squash (from a few 2-lb. squash)
- salt and pepper, to season
medium yellow onion, diced
jalapeno, diced (and seeded in order for you much less spice)
can black beans, drained and rinsed
yellow corn tortillas, reduce into thick strips
can pink enchilada sauce
shredded colby jack or mexican cheese (or no matter you like), divided
- cilantro and greek yogurt, for serving
Add olive oil to a big oven-proof skillet and place over medium warmth. Add onions, garlic, and jalapeno and cook dinner 3-5 minutes till onions turn out to be translucent and garlic is aromatic. Add cubed squash, cumin and chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook dinner, stirring sometimes, till the squash is barely tender, about 10 minutes or so. Generally it helps in case you cowl the pan with a lid to create condensation, which can assist to hurry up the cooking time. You need the squash to be fork tender, however not so tender that it begins to collapse and turn out to be mush.
Subsequent, add the black beans, corn tortilla items, and the can of enchilada sauce and stir to mix. Cut back warmth to medium-low and sprinkle in 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir once more and simmer for a couple of minutes. Flip in your oven broiler to excessive. Sprinkle a further 1/2 cup of cheese (or extra if you would like!) excessive of the enchilada combination and place in oven below broiler for 3-5 minutes till cheese melts. Take away from oven and serve instantly. Be at liberty so as to add in cilantro. Serve with bitter cream, guacamole, or sizzling sauce if you would like! Take pleasure in.
See the total put up for ideas, methods & methods to customise this enchilada skillet!
Servings: 4 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving (primarily based on 4)
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats